We’re delighted to announce the 43 cancer support organisations who are the recipients of this year’s Dry July Foundation Grant Program. The Grant Program is made possible through funds raised during the 2017 Dry July campaign.
Of the 19,000 Dry July participants in 2017, 13,600 chose to directly support the Dry July Foundation, meaning their fundraising was allocated to the Grant Program in their nominated state.
The Dry July Foundation then invited cancer support organisations across Australia to submit applications to benefit from these funds. Each application was capped at $50,000, however organisations can apply for more than one project. We received applications for 118 projects, and with $2 million available in the Grant Program, we were able to fund 95 of these projects.
Congratulations to this year’s Grant Program recipients:
DRY JULY NATIONAL GRANTS
Look Good Feel Better
- Workshops held nationally across 239 venues for those dealing with the effects of chemotherapy
Prostate Cancer Foundation
- Prostate counselling services for men and their families affected by prostate cancer
- Provision of a new 12 seater bus for regional and rural patients to access metropolitan care in Queensland
- Career advice service for young adults affected by cancer
Breast Cancer Network Australia
- Information forum for latest treatment and care for those affected by a breast cancer diagnosis
AUSTRALIAN CAPITAL TERRITORY GRANTS
- Radiation Oncology waiting room refurbishment
- ICU Patient support – comfortable patient seating, ipads and palliative care memory boxes
- Cervical dilators for Ovarian cancer patient Comfort
NEW SOUTH WALES GRANTS
Blacktown Cancer and Haematology Centre – Mount Druitt
- Palliative care refurbishment - Mount Druitt Hospital.
Calvary Mater Hospital Newcastle
- 3D printing for radiation guides, ensuring speed and comfort of fitting.
- Oncology occupational equipment loan program for outpatients.
Cancer Council NSW
- Information support packs for newly diagnosed cancer patients.
- Renovate family accommodation facility in Orange.
- Cancer in the School Community' Information Booklet for NSW Schools.
Central Coast Local Health District
- CoastCanCare Wellness Program
- Chemotherapy diaries.
- Cancer survivorship classes
Chris O’Brien Lifehouse
- Level 9 North fitout
- Nutritional meal software for patients
- Online meditation program at home.
The Crown Princess Mary Cancer Centre (Westmead Hospital)
- Radiation therapy printed gowns
- Art program at Crown Princess Mary cancer centre.
- Recliner recover chairs in Haematology ward.
- Refresh renovated ward fixtures and furniture on cancer ward.
- Ward equipment that improves patient comfort and treatment, oxygen, observation and ECG machines.
Liverpool Cancer Therapy Centre
- Wellness Centre Support Programs (Pilates/Yoga, Qi Gong, Thai Chi, Zumba, Nutrition, Massage Therapy, Acupuncture, Hypnotherapy)
- Wall art and ceiling boxes in radiation bunkers
Moruya District Hospital
- Connections, a psychoeducational group
- Exercise program for those affected by cancer
Royal North Shore Hospital
- Video with nutrition education and advice
- Water cooler – ice and water during chemotherapy
- Information brochure – communicating good cancer care
St George Hospital
- Beverage bay in chemotherapy day unit facility
- Three new Chemotherapy chairs
- 25 comfortable waiting room chairs
St Vincent’s Hospital Sydney
- Complimentary therapy treatments for patients experiencing hardship
- Fitout of family quiet room
Prince of Wales Hospital Foundation
- Lounges, seating and wifi in waiting area
- Renovate reception and waiting area
NORTHERN TERRITORY GRANTS
Cancer Council NT
- Mens’ cancer health workshops
Cancer Council Queensland
- Gluyas Rotary lodge bathroom and laundry refurbishments.
Far North Queensland Hospital Foundation
- Chemotherapy chairs for day therapy at Cairns Hospital
Gold Coast Hospital Foundation
- Cancer Patient Transport Service
Mater Cancer Care Centre
- Syringe drivers for palliative care patients
The OTIS Foundation
- Additional Queensland retreats for breast cancer patients and their families
SOUTH AUSTRALIA GRANTS
Cancer Council SA
- Flinders Lodge rooms refurbishment
- Greenhill Lodge rooms refurbishment
Cancer Patients Foundation
- Additional Look Good Feel Better courses in South Australia
- Oncology Massage Program in Ward 5G
Cancer Council Tasmania
- Southern Support Centre specialised support facilities project
- Sky ceilings in radiotherapy bunkers
- Exercise Therapy Program
- Vehicle to provide Transport to Treatment for those affected by cancer
- Wellness program for cancer patients
Cancer Council Victoria
- Information hubs in regional Victoria
- Program to educate patients and families on the financial impact of a cancer diagnosis.
Olivia Newton-John Cancer Research & Wellness Centre
- Oncology massage programs
- Yoga program for cancer patients
- Art and creativity program
- Exercise equipment
Peter MacCullum Cancer Foundation
- Mindfulness program
St Vincent’s Hospital Melbourne
- Scalp cooling machine for those affected by chemotherapy (pictured)
WESTERN AUSTRALIA GRANTS
Cancer Council Western Australia
- Wellness program; yoga, meditation and exercise at Crawford and Milroy patient accommodation lodges.
SolarisCare Cancer Support Centres
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Program
- Portable back massage cushions
The OTIS Foundation
- WA beachside retreats for breast cancer patients and their families
(Pictured: Paxman Scalp Cooling Cap, funded at St Vincent's Hospital Melbourne)