Thanks to funds raised through Dry July 2019, the Dry July Foundation is proud to be funding Cancer Council's vital 13 11 20 Information and Support Line.
About Cancer Council 13 11 20 Information and Support Line
We know that coping with cancer is challenging, which is why we deliver a comprehensive range of support services for all people, affected by all cancers, across every state and territory.
In 2018, we helped thousands of Australians get the support they need by answering over 41,000 calls through our 13 11 20 Information and Support Line.
Our 13 11 20 Information and Support Line is a confidential service, run by Cancer Councils in each state and territory, where you can speak to a specialist cancer professional about anything to do with cancer, including:
• Emotional support if you or someone you care about has cancer
• How to reduce your cancer risk
• Questions about early detection
• Dealing with a cancer diagnosis
• How to cope with treatment and its side effects
• Practical support that is available to anyone affected by cancer
• End of life issues.
Anyone can contact 13 11 20 – from cancer patients and people living with cancer to their families, carers and friends, social workers, healthcare professionals and the general public.
In the last financial year, our 13 11 20 cancer specialists answered more than 41,000 calls nationally. The service was pivotal in connecting cancer patients to our support services including transport to treatment, legal and financial assistance, our free wig service and various support groups.
We rely on community donations to fund our vital 13 11 20 service for the community.
In the last year, across Australia :
* There were 41,000 connections via phone, email, online or in person.
* More than 71% of all connections involved cancer patients and their family / friends
* There were 29,461 connections (with cancer patients and their family / friends) for 131,452 persons diagnosed with cancer in Australia.
* More than 38% of connections with cancer patients and their family / friends were made at the point of first diagnosis.
* More than 24% of connections came from repeat users of the service.