Making a Difference at Northern Sydney Cancer Centre
The funds raised through Dry July 2016 for Royal North Shore Hospital will go towards a number of projects and programs to support cancer patients, including:
- CanSupport Program
- Production of a DVD for patients newly diagnosed with head & neck cancer
- Blanket Warmer
- Patient Information Booklets
- Wall Art for Treatment Suite 1 (Brachytherapy Suite)
The CanSupport Program funding will cover:
- Charge Bar for patients mobile phones and tables
- Turban Project (to provide patients with access to turbans and headwear)
- Creative Writing Course
- One-stop shop education program
- NSCC Orientation Program resource pack for 1000 patients
- Carers Pamper & Info Pack
- Wall Mural for Wig Library
- Flowers for waiting areas
Superhero Friday at Moody Chef cafe
On Friday 15 July, staff at the Moody Chef donned superhero costumes to raise awareness for and encourage people to participate in Dry July in support of the Northern Sydney Cancer Centre at Royal North Shore Hospital.
In addition, throughout the month of July:
- Moody Chef will place a DJ Sticker on coffee cups/lids to promote awareness and registration
- Decorate their outlets with DJ posters, bunting etc
- Take up a Coin Collection at the main payment counters for both outlets for 2 weeks (staff will donate their tips)
Relaxation and Meditation Program at Royal North Shore Hospital
The Relaxation and Meditation program has been funded by Dry July for people with cancer and their carers who live within the Northern Sydney region. The program is run weekly during the school term at The Dougherty Centre in Chatswood. The program is delivered off-site from Northern Sydney Cancer Centre to maximise the opportunity to ‘switch-off’ from the treatment environment.
The program is an open group that allows participants to attend when they can due to the impact of treatment, appointments and other commitments. The program is run by a Satyananda Yoga Teacher, who is also a qualified Social Worker and Nurse.
The program provides education and support for participants to:
Relax and release tension
Cope better emotionally and mentally
Reduce stress and anxiety
Help alleviate sleeping difficulties, pain, fatigue and nausea.
In commencing the program, participants hoped to gain the following from the program: peace of mind, help with sleep, relaxation skills, improved health and physical wellbeing, management of side effects including pain.