Dry July campaign funds and a grant from the Dry July Foundation will ensure continuous service of the Cancer Council Support Line in WA for 6 months in 2019. Cancer Council’s 13 11 20 support line is a free, confidential information and support service run by Cancer Councils in each state and territory. Anyone can contact 13 11 20; cancer patients, people living with cancer, their families, carers and friends, social workers, healthcare professionals and the general public. The service is run by teams of specially trained oncology nurses who are available to answer questions about cancer and offer emotional or practical support. In the last financial year, 13 11 20 answered more than 46,000 calls nationally and was pivotal in connecting cancer patients to our support services including transport to treatment, accommodation, complementary therapy, wig service and support groups. 13 11 20 is funded individually by each state and territory Cancer Council and relies on community donations. In the previous year, in Western Australia :
* There were 8176 connections via phone, email, online or in person.
* More than 70% of all connections involved cancer patients and their family / friends (the balance of connections involved social workers on behalf of cancer patients, health care professionals and the general public).
* There were 0.51 connections (with cancer patients and their family / friends) for every 1 person diagnosed with cancer in WA.
* More than 52% of connections with cancer patients and their family / friends were made at the point of first diagnosis.
* More than 55% of connections came from repeat users of the service.
You can see a short video that talks about the excellent service here